It’s that time of year when pets and skunks cross paths. Typically, this experience only smells bad but in some cases the skunk spray can make your pet sick. Therefore, bathing your pet is the first step to helping them. The following “skunk formula” works well and most people have the necessary ingredients in the kitchen. There is no reason to try a tomato bath! This formula works to actually neutralize the chemicals in the skunk spray rather than just wash them away.
Krebaum skunk odor removal formula*
- 1 quart fresh 3% hydrogen peroxide
- ¼ cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- 1-2 tsp of liquid dishwashing detergent
For large dogs, add one quart of tepid water to ensure complete coverage.
Mix the above ingredients together.
Bathe the animal outdoors. Apply the formula to the pet, working deeply into the fur, and allow it to set for five minutes.
Rinse with copious amount of water after five minutes.
Repeat if necessary.
- The mixture must be used promptly and will not work if stored for any length of time.
- Do not store in a closed container. The container could break as the peroxide releases oxygen.
- The pet’s fur (as well as clothing, towels, and carpeting) may be bleached by the formula.
*Source: Krebaum P. Skunk odor removal. Chem Engineer News 1993;Oct 18:99.